On April 17, 1900 the Whittier Public Library Board of Trustees held its first meeting in Landrum Smith's drugstore. With an initial collection of 60 books and 200 magazines, the library facilities began in the Woody Building as a reading room, maintained by Mr. Hester in exchange for space for his telegraph office. In 1907, a Carnegie grant funded the construction of the building at Bailey and Greenleaf that many Whittierites fondly remember.
As the city expanded, a larger library was needed, and the Friends of the Library organized in 1956 to raise money for a new building. Through their efforts, and those of the board members, librarians, and citizen fund raising groups, the new library was completed at the Washington Avenue site in May of 1959. In 1968, service was further expanded with the construction of the Whittwood Branch Library on Santa Gertrudes.
The library is extremely proud to have served the information needs of Whittier's people for over a century and we look forward to the challenges of the future.
Connecting people to knowledge, to ideas, and to one another.
Whittier Public Library will provide facilities for the 21st century where people of all ages and backgrounds will find a welcoming environment, outstanding collection, access to the latest technology, and services that are in keeping with the Library's tradition of excellence.
Library Board of Trustees
The Board of Library Trustees consists of five members who give advice on all matters concerning City libraries, consider and recommend the annual budget for library purposes to the City Council, establish policies regarding the acquisition of books and periodicals, and assist in planning Library facilities to meet the needs of the City and school population.
(Whittier Municipal Code Chapter 2.08)
Meets the fourth Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Whittier History Room, Main Library.
- Gail E. Chabran, Chair
- Laurie Baccus, Board Member
- Doris Huxtable, Board Member
- Rubin Johnson, Board Member
- Kathy Marin, Board Member